NC State University  | campus directory  |  libraries  |  mypack portal  |  campus map  |  search ncsu.edu

Posts tagged: University history

Jan 23 2017

Wolf Tales Receives 2016-2017 Diversity Mini-Grant

We’re happy to announce that the SCRC’s mobile oral history program, Wolf Tales, has received a 2016-2017 Diversity Mini-Grant from the NCSU Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED). As described in this announcement from NCSU Libraries, the grant will support focused outreach to campus groups to document the voices of historically underrepresented students at NC State.

Shima Idries and Shamms DiarBakerli, Wolf Tales recording, 5 May 2016

Shima Idries and Shamms DiarBakerli, Wolf Tales recording, 5 May 2016

In its first year Wolf Tales has captured 41 recordings with a diverse range of voices, from current students to alumni of the class of 1943. The Wolf Tales video recordings and transcripts are archived and shared online through the Libraries’ Rare & Unique Digital Collections site. The Libraries has brought Wolf Tales recording stations to events ranging from annual reunions of the NCSU Alumni Association to “open days” in the Libraries where participants are invited to sit down individually or in groups of 2-3 people to make a 10-20 minute recording.

Student and alumni participants in the first year of Wolf Tales recordings.

Student and alumni participants in the first year of Wolf Tales recordings.

Having partnered with the African American Cultural Center to record student and alumni voices at Harambee! 2016, Wolf Tales will work with other campus organizations that support current and former students whose experiences have not been fully represented in written documentation, including in African American, LGBT, military veteran, Muslim, Latinx, and Native American communities.

Elwood and Diane Hill Becton, at the African American Cultural Center's Harambee 2016, 8 September 2016

Elwood and Diane Hill Becton, at the African American Cultural Center's Harambee 2016, 8 September 2016

Cynthia M. Sharpe, Destinie Statum, and Jakini Kauba at Harambee! 2016, 8 September 2016

Cynthia M. Sharpe, Destinie Statum, and Jakini Kauba at Harambee! 2016, 8 September 2016

Plans are currently underway to bring Wolf Tales to the GLBT Center’s Lavender Graduation in April 2017 to gather stories of the experiences of GLBT students and their allies. Wolf Tales plans to extend this framework to other underrepresented voices through partnerships with other OIED units and student groups to create a more diverse, inclusive record and to prevent future silences in the archives.

If you’re interested in making a recording or discussing a possible partnership with Wolf Tales, please contact library_wolftales@ncsu.edu, and visit the Wolf Tales website for more information. We are actively seeking partners and would love to hear from you!

Jan 10 2017

Special Collections Display in Veterinary Medicine Library

Currently on display in the William Rand Kenan Jr. Library of Veterinary Medicine is a selection of items highlighting the history of the NCSU College of Veterinary Medicine, a legacy preserved and shared by the Special Collections Research Center. The display features materials that tell the story of the evolution of the College of Veterinary Medicine, focusing especially on the administrators, faculty, and students at the heart of that story. Below is a preview of the items on display – visit the Veterinary Medicine Library to see more!

Veterinary Medicine campus site, circa 1977.

Veterinary Medicine campus site, circa 1977.

The two original barns were built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the 1930s. The site became the University Dairy Farm for NC State in 1940, before becoming part of the original campus of the School of Veterinary Medicine (later re-named the College of Veterinary Medicine in 1987).  Photographs located in the Terrence M. Curtin Papers (MC 00420).

Terrence Curtin, founding dean of the NCSU School of Veterinary Medicine, serving from 1979-1992.

Terrence Curtin, founding dean of the NCSU School of Veterinary Medicine, serving from 1979-1992.

A biography of founding dean Terrence Curtin, in the 1984 “Fact Book” for School of Veterinary Medicine, is located in the NCSU Office of Equal Opportunity and Equity Records (UA 005.009).

Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medicine Association, featured in 1984 Vet Med yearbook, "VetCetera."

NCSU Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medicine Association, featured in 1984 Vet Med yearbook, "VetCetera."

The NCSU Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medicine Association (SCAVMA) was founded in 1981, by the first class of students enrolled in the School of Veterinary Medicine. Image above is found in the Vet Med 1984 yearbook, “VetCetera,” located in the College of Veterinary Medicine Publications (UA 145.200).

Installing whale skeleton in College of Veterinary Medicine building, 1988.

Installing whale skeleton in College of Veterinary Medicine building, 1988.

The College of Veterinary Medicine installed a whale skeleton in its main building in 1988, after collecting the skeleton from the Outer Banks in 1986 through the work of faculty members J.W. Doyle, Ed Smallwood, and Paul Nader, as well as Vet Med student and faculty volunteers and the National Guard. The above photographs are located in the Terrence M. Curtin Papers (MC 00420). More information on the skeleton discovery and installation can be found in the Technician article below.

Technician article, Oct. 1, 1986: “Skeleton gave Vet School ‘whale’ of a job”

Technician article, Oct. 1, 1986: “Skeleton gave Vet School ‘whale’ of a job”

These items and more will be on display in the Vet Med Library through the spring 2017 semester.

You can learn more about the history of the College of Veterinary Medicine through its Historical State timeline, and in other collection materials in the SCRC, including digitized photographs, documents, folders, and a written history by founding dean Terrence M. Curtin. If you have questions about the display or about these or other items in the SCRC, please contact us!

https://d.lib.ncsu.edu/collections/catalog?f%5Bformat%5D%5B%5D=Text&q=veterinary+medicine

Jan 03 2017

Happy New Year from Special Collections

To help ring in the new year, we’re highlighting several issues of the Technician newspaper, featuring New Year’s wishes for NC State students from the student newspaper’s earliest years.

The Technician, Jan. 4, 1924

The Technician, Jan. 4, 1924

The above issue from Jan. 4, 1924, included New Year greetings to students from Eugene Clyde Brooks, president of NC State from 1923-1934, encouraging the “young men” of State College (two years before the first women graduated with degrees from NC State) “who seek a new freedom on a higher moral and intellectual plane during the year 1924″ – and to avoid the “many opportunities” to indulge “low and base conduct.”

Below, a Jan. 1, 1922 issue celebrated a basketball victory over the holiday break and gave similar words of encouragement – especially urging the students to work “with and not against Student Government,” and help State College, as NC State was known at the time, continue to grow in positive ways.

he Technician, Jan. 1, 1922

The Technician, Jan. 1, 1922

You can browse these and many more issues online through our digitized Technician archive. Looking at first January issues of the year of the Technician over the years, the newspaper has reported on some common occurrences that are still relevant today as we prepare to start back into a new semester – basketball victories, the inaugurations of new governors, and students returning to campus and registering for classes, through rain, snow, and ice at times.

If you are interested in learning more about the digitized Technician online, or any other resources in our Rare and Unique Digital Collections and collection guides, please feel free to contact us.  We hope that this new year brings the very best to all of our students, faculty and researchers!

Dec 07 2016

Remembering Pearl Harbor

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.  This event touched the lives of all Americans, including students here at NC State at the time.

In an oral history interview with William C. Friday, Friday describes his memories of first hearing about the attack on Pearl Harbor while he was a student at NC State (known at the time as State College), and its impact on his life. William Friday graduated from State College in 1941 with a degree in Textile Manufacturing, and went on to serve as President of the University of North Carolina system from 1956-1986.

Oral history with William C. Friday

Oral history with William C. Friday

Friday’s oral history can be heard as part of the Student Leadership Initiative, along with many other interviews with former student leaders over the years.

The Technician newspaper includes other evidence of the impact of Pearl Harbor on students at NC State.  According to the student newspaper on Feb. 7, 1942, NC State student Robert Westbrook was killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor.  Westbrook, a Raleigh native, was a radio operator in a bomber.

Clipping from Feb. 1942 Technician, acknowledging the death of student Robert Westbrook in Pearl Harbor.

Clipping from Feb. 1942 Technician, acknowledging the death of student Robert Westbrook in Pearl Harbor.

Almost one year after the attack, on Dec. 4, 1942, the Technician describes a “quiet observance” planned to take place at the Memorial Bell Tower, honoring “those alumni killed at Pearl Harbor or in other war action.” As part of the ceremony, ROTC units marched to the Bell Tower and played taps, one moment of silence was observed, and no speeches were made.

Clipping from Dec. 4, 1942, Technician describing Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony.

Clipping from Dec. 4, 1942, Technician describing Pearl Harbor remembrance ceremony.

More student reactions to Pearl Harbor and other military events over the years can be found in digitized issues of the Technician, available through our Rare & Unique Digital Collections.  If you are interested in exploring or learning more about these or other collections in the Special Collections Research Center, please contact us.

Oct 17 2016

New GLBT Timeline

Special Collections has recently created a new timeline showing the history of NC State’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender community. The timeline shows important events and milestones since the 1970s.

The timeline reveals the various student groups that have existed throughout this time period to support and promote the GLBT community.  In the 1980s there was the NC State Gay Community, and in 1990s the Lesbian and Gay Student Union.  In the late 1990s Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Allies (BGLA) became active, and since 2007 there has been an NC State chapter of AEGIS (Accepting and Embracing Gender Identity and Sexuality). These groups have brought attention to and support for the GLBT community through such activities as Blue Jeans Days, Gay Awareness Days, and various rallies, as well as such programs as Project Safe.

The timeline shows the evolution of GLBT inclusion in the university’s non-discrimination policy.  In 1991 official university statements only went so far as to state that sexual orientation would not be relevant to educational and employment decisions.  By 1998, sexual orientation was considered a factor in making a diverse student body.  In 2003 the university included sexual orientation in its Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Policy Statement, and in 2012 it added gender identity and gender expression.

Such milestones as the GLBT Center’s creation in 2008 and the first Lavender Graduation in 2009 are included in the timeline, as is recent campus reaction to HB2.

The GLBT timeline has been created as NC State celebrates Diversity Education Week this week.  You may also be interested in looking at the timelines showing the history of African Americans and women on our campus.  Additional timelines and other resources on university history exist on our Historical State website.

Oct 03 2016

Happy 50th, Carter-Finley!

October 8 marks the 50th anniversary of the dedication of Carter-Finley Stadium (then Carter Stadium and A.E. Finley Fieldhouse).  Let’s celebrate with some images from past decades.

Athletic Director Roy Clogston, Consolidated University president William Friday, and chairman of the Stadium Committee Walker Martin celebrate the groundbreaking, 13 Dec. 1964

Dedication of Carter Stadium program

A page from Chancellor Caldwell’s message in the Dedication program reads, “This facility is another expression of the loyalty and dedication of hundreds of North Carolinians to North Carolina State University.”

Pages from Dedication program

Opening Day at Carter-Finley, 8 Oct. 1966

Fans in the 1970s

Carter-Finley in 2006

Carter-Finley in 2004, from the Murphy Football Center

Billboard at Carter-Finley

For more on Carter-Finley’s construction and its past 50 years, see “Carter-Finley, Still a Modernist Marvel” and “Home Moments to Remember,” both by Tim Peeler of University Communications.  For more images of Carter-Finley, NC State football, and more, search our Rare and Unique Digital Collections.

Aug 30 2016

Wolf Tales Captures Alumni Memories of Harrelson Hall

To wrap up our series of posts about Harrelson Hall, we’re sharing several short recordings captured with alumni as part of the SCRC’s Wolf Tales program, our mobile oral history program to integrate more student voices to the archives.  We set up recording stations at events around campus to record the stories of alumni and students about life at NC State, and then add these recordings to the archives and share them online, so that future generations of researchers can learn about the history of NC State from the voices of those who lived it.

In the fall of 2015, the Wake County Alumni Network hosted a “Last Look at Harrelson” event to invite alumni into the building for one last farewell before demolition began.  We sat down with three alums who shared their different memories and experiences of Harrelson as students, ranging from the 1970s to the 2000s.  Their different stories show the range of feelings about the building, both positive and negative.

Click on any of the images below to view the full videos.

Danny Peele, Class of 1974

Danny Peele, Class of 1974

Danny Peele (‘74) shared memories of showing off Harrelson Hall to visitors from his small town, taking classes in Harrelson, and acoustical problems and echoes in the classrooms.

Matthew Williams, Class of 2014

Matthew Williams, Class of 2014

Matt Williams (‘14) spoke about his childhood memories of seeing Harrelson Hall while visiting NC State’s campus with his mother, an NC State alum, and later as a student at NC State, and the friendships he made in Harrelson through his involvement with student government.

Laurie Mitchell, Class of 2004

Laurie Mitchell, Class of 2004

Laurie Mitchell (‘04) talked about taking classes in Harrelson Hall, the challenges and functional issues of the building (including windowless rooms and inconveniently located women’s restrooms), positive memories of professors who taught classes in Harrelson, and appreciating the mid century modern design of Harrelson and its place as an iconic building on campus.

You can learn more about the Wolf Tales program and view upcoming recording sessions at our website, and view more recordings of alumni and current students sharing their stories of life at NC State here.  If you have questions or would like to learn more about Wolf Tales, write to library_wolftales@ncsu.edu, and if you have questions about using any of our collections always feel free to contact us!

Aug 22 2016

Terry Waugh and Harrelson Hall

Terry Waugh, 1958

Edward Walter “Terry” Waugh is usually credited with the circular design concept for NC State’s Harrelson Hall, which was recently demolished.  To follow up from last week’s post, here are a few more facts about him.

He was born on 24 January 1913 in Johannesburg, South Africa.  During the 1930s he attended the School of Architecture at Edinburgh College of Art and Heriot Watt College of Engineering in Scotland, and he received the equivalent of a BA in 1935 and MA in 1938.

During World War II he came to the United States.  In 1944-1945 he had a fellowship at Cranbrook Academy, and he briefly worked under Eliel Saarinen.  In 1945-1946 he was a senior designer of movie sets for Columbia Picture, Inc.  He was a practicing architect for a few years in Kansas City, and in 1949 he and George Matsumoto designed the Kansas City Art Institute.  He also briefly taught architecture at the University of Kansas and the University of Oklahoma.

In September 1948 he became an associate professor of architecture in NC State’s School (now College) of Design.  He was among the original cohort of faculty and students that had come with Dean Henry Kamphoefner from the University of Oklahoma.  He taught at NC State during 1948-1951 and again 1958-1962.  During his second employment at the university, he performed additional duties as campus planner.

From 1951 to 1958 he was in private practice in Raleigh.  In 1960, he and his wife Elizabeth authored (with Henry Kamphoefner, advisor) the book The South Builds:  New Architecture in the Old South. During his career he also wrote a number of articles.  In 1965 he showed his paintings and drawings at an exhibit titled “Two Years of Architecture and Art” in NC State’s student union.

In addition to Harrelson Hall (designed with Holloway-Reeves), Waugh contributed to the design of various renovation projects on the NC State campus; to the Winston-Salem War Memorial Coliseum (with G. Milton Small); and the Forest Hills Shopping Center (with Raymond Sawyer) in Garner, North Carolina.  He also designed several houses in North Carolina (many featured on the NC Modernist Houses website), including his own at 3211 Churchill Road in Raleigh.  Through an arrangement between NC State and the government of Peru, Waugh design the campus for La Molina University (Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina) in that country.

Postcard of Harrelson Hall, 1962.

Postcard of Harrelson Hall, 1962.

Terry Waugh died in Raleigh on 24 February 1966. Architectural drawings for some of his buildings still exist.  Drawings and other documents about the design of NC State’s recently-demolished Harrelson Hall are included in the NCSU Office of the University Architect Records (UA 003.026) and the Holloway-Reeves Records (MC 00172).  Drawings for other Waugh-designed buildings also exist in the Edward Walter Waugh Drawings (MC 00148).

Aug 15 2016

Harrelson Hall at the Beginning

Harrelson Hall floorplan, 1959

With demolition completed recently, the landmark Harrelson Hall is at an end.  We wanted to continuing looking back at its earliest days, and we developed the timeline below to show how the building came to be created:

1957

The North Carolina General Assembly authorized construction of a new classroom building on the NC State campus.

Plans were developed for the new classroom building to be circular.

August 1957

The Building and Grounds Committee approved the space between Polk and Williams Halls as the location of the new classroom building. 

February 1959

The Board of Trustees approved the official naming of the new classroom building as Harrelson Hall in honor of Chancellor John W. Harrelson.

Architecture professor Terry Waugh was responsible for Harrelson Hall's circular design.

March 1959

Architectural plans for Harrelson Hall were released to the public.  The architects were Holloway-Reeves and Associates, aided by architecture faculty member E. W. “Terry” Waugh.  Waugh was responsible for the circular design concept, believed to enclose the largest amount of space with the least amount of materials, a necessary requirement during a time of teacher shortages and increasing enrollment.  The pie-slice shapes of interior spaces was thought to make perfect classrooms, some of which could hold 200 students.

1960

Plans for the “round classroom building” were finalized; construction began.  T. A. Loving and Company was the general contractor.  Concrete was a major material used in construction; some parts of the building were precast and others poured in place.

Containing the bathrooms and spiral ramp, the core of the building was constructed first.

The core of the building (including the bathrooms, utilities, and ramp) was constructed first.

1961

Construction was completed.  The university stated the final cost was $2,250,000 (later that was revised down to $1,990,000).  At first the university claimed the building’s 77 classrooms could hold 4,500 students.  This may have been overly optimistic; a few years later, the campus facilities office stated that Harrelson Hall could seat only 3,254 students.  Nevertheless, both numbers are impressive because a total of 7,117 students were enrolled at NC State during the Fall 1961 semester.

November 1961

The public first glimpsed the inside of the building.  Only one floor was completely furnished for an open house on November 4.  At another open house on November 18 as part of Homecoming festivities, 1,200 people filed through the building.  While most comments were favorable, some criticism was noted:  people complained of noisy steam pipes, a lack of bathrooms for women (there was only one), and potential dangers with the ramp.  Some noted that it took significantly longer to walk the ramp than climb the stairs.

Harrelson Hall nearing completion in 1961

The Department of Mathematics was the first unit to move into the building.

February-March 1962

Students had already begun calling the building “The Pie” and having fun with it:  the February 8 Technician reported on a student roller skating down the ramp.  Landscaping was still incomplete, and students and faculty complained of mud and weeds surrounding the building (it would be five more years before the Brickyard was constructed).  Over time, complaints about the building mounted, including noisy air conditioning, curved chalkboards, and disorienting corridors and ramps.

7 March 1962

The building was officially dedicated as part of NC State’s 75th anniversary ceremonies and the 100th anniversary of the Morrill Act creating land-grant colleges and universities.

April 1962

The Building and Grounds Committee recommended funds for landscaping around Harrelson Hall and development of detailed landscaping plans for the open space nearby.

Aug 11 2016

From the Archives: Wolfpack Welcome Week special

This Friday is the start of NC State’s Wolfpack Welcome Week, the traditional event to welcome new students, helping them adjust to life on campus and prepare for their upcoming class schedules, as well as greet returning students. NCSU Libraries’ Special Collections Research Center would like to commemorate the new semester with a sampling of images from digitized materials in our Rare and Unique Digital Collections.

For those unfamiliar with the Special Collections Research Center, we hold and manage the University’s unique archival materials, and you can find us in the D. H. Hill Library. We have a large digitized collection of Special Collections materials available online. This includes images like these, where students from years past are moving into their dorms, attending student orientation, and registering for classes.

We hope this school year goes wonderfully for you! If you would like to learn more about the Special Collections Research Center and our digitized materials, please visit NCSU Libraries’ Rare and Unique Digital Collections, which provides access to thousands of images, video, audio recordings, and textual materials documenting NC State history and other topics. If you are interested in learning more about our materials or viewing them, please see information on using Special Collections materials and use our Special Collections Request Form.